As a recent graduate of the Condé Nast College of Fashion & Design's Vogue Fashion Certificate program, I spent a significant amount of time traveling the London Underground visiting museums, pubs and fashion hubs. After graduation my adventure continued on the Paris Metro in France and on the New York MTA, back in my home country of the United States.
With my heightened fashion sense at the forefront, my travels suddenly took on new meaning. The usual dull subway travel included more than the awkward stare or annoying lurk over the shoulder of a nearby passenger. Now, my metro journey included my style scoop catching the cutest handbag, sweet mani-pedi or a must-have jumper.
There are plenty of ways to have a fashionable Fall, and here are my Top 6 ways to spruce up your on-the-go subway style:
1. SIGNATURE SCENT: Although each subway system has its own smell (yuk), each subway car can be lifted by a beautiful parfum to carry your spirits through the Fall day. Some favs include Flora by Gucci or Burberry Summer for the ladies.
2. SHADOW SIZZLE: We can all agree that most of us look down on the subway to avoid eye contact. If your eyes are closed even for a little of your journey, why not give a little glamour? Shadow your eyes in a shimmery natural tone like Mylar (satin) by MAC Cosmetics or go bold with the Nars Duo Creme Eye shadow called Turn It Blue.
3. NO TEA NO SHADE: For guys and gals, sunglasses may be the best method just keep your cool and put forth your fashion statement. Ladies cannot go wrong with the deep noir of Dior "So Real" sunglasses and men can lean in with the Alexander McQueen Aviators.
4. SATCHEL STORIES: A journey isn't complete without a perfect companion bag for keepsakes. I love the variety of the men's messenger bags at Cole Haan, especially the Greenwich Newspaper Bag. And for the ladies, a colorful Proenza Schouler medium satchel gives a punch of life to the season.
5. SERENADING SONGS: Music will always help your travel time fly by a little bit faster, so an iPhone, iPod or .mp3 player is a must have accessory. Twerk up your playlist with a few club bangers and some flashback jams. Apple's purchase of Beats by Dre could prove to unleash a few new tech gadgets for Fall as well. Fingers crossed!
6. SHOE CITY: Last but certainly not least, shoes are the final and must have item to spruce up your subway style. After all, if we are looking down during most of the journey, most of our time is spent looking at feet. Make yours stand out from the crowd. Some of my fav Fall staples include Men's Saint Laurent Classic Court hi-top trainers and Women's Fendi ankle boot. Both give color and make a bold statement.
Click on any of the images to find out more details. Try out these six tips to kick up your subway style and enjoy the journey wherever your travels may take you!